Enjoy this delicious Fall recipe!
Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli florets, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup cut carrots, matchstick
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a skillet over medium-
high heat. Saute onion in hot butter until translucent,
about 5 minutes. Set aside.
2. Whisk 1/4 cup melted butter and flour together
in a large saucepan over medium-low heat; cook
until flour loses it’s granular texture, adding 1 to 2
tablespoons of milk if necessary to keep the flour
from burning, 3 to 4 minutes.
3. Gradually pour milk into flour mixture while whisking
constantly. Stir chicken stock into milk mixture.
Bring to a simmer; cook until flour taste is gone
and the mixture is thickened about 20 minutes. Add
broccoli, carrots, sauteed onion, and celery; simmer
until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
4. Stir cheddar cheese into vegetable mixture until
cheese melts. Season with salt and pepper
Our Seasons of Grace Garden Cookbook includes many more recipes inspired by what is grown in BEAM’s Grace Garden and are organized by growing season. Order yours today!